Re: SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

On Thursday 16 March 2006 05:24, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Booting into my normal Sarge with lilo hangs at the start with the drive
> connected.

Oh, dear! Sarge is doing this too.

> If Knoppix has absolutely no problems, I believe my problems are all
> software related. Knoppix finds it as /dev/sda. I created ext2
> partitions 1-7, no problems. I was unable to run lilo from Knoppix: got
> errors that he could not find the right device mapper.
>
> Anybody have a clue as to what to google for, or what to do next to get
> a bootloader to run with the drive connected?

It's software, all right. The installer is setting things up in a way that is
trashed by something during the boot process. Things are moved around and
drives are renamed. Knoppix is seeing your drive(s) correctly because it's
booting the CD -- if your system could get through the boot process, it'd see
things correctly too.

If I were you, I'd try to install from an old CD set. This has happened in
just the past few weeks. You might want to try woody. It worked.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com