Re: SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

Jacob S wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:50:50 -0700
Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:

On Thursday 16 March 2006 05:24, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Booting into my normal Sarge with lilo hangs at the start with the
drive connected.
Oh, dear! Sarge is doing this too.
If Knoppix has absolutely no problems, I believe my problems are all
software related. Knoppix finds it as /dev/sda. I created ext2
partitions 1-7, no problems. I was unable to run lilo from Knoppix:
got errors that he could not find the right device mapper.

Anybody have a clue as to what to google for, or what to do next to
get a bootloader to run with the drive connected?
It's software, all right. The installer is setting things up in a way
that is trashed by something during the boot process. Things are
moved around and drives are renamed. Knoppix is seeing your drive(s)
correctly because it's booting the CD -- if your system could get
through the boot process, it'd see things correctly too.

If I were you, I'd try to install from an old CD set. This has
happened in just the past few weeks. You might want to try woody. It
worked.

Woody will not recognize SATA drives. I would try a "modprobe dm_mod"
in Knoppix, then mount /, with /boot mounted inside of it, if they are
on different partitions. Now chroot into / and run the installed copy
of lilo. This usually works for me, even if it spits a warning or two.

Jacob, let me go over your suggestion: boot the knoppix CD and modprobe dm_mod, then mount /, meaning the partition that I usually run from? And then chroot into that mounted partition and run the lilo that I normally run?

What is the rationale for this?

Thanks!