Re: Graphics Drivers (I'm new to Linux)

On Saturday, 04.03.2006 at 16:51 -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> Dave Ewart wrote:
> >As I understand it: nVidia claim that they would *like* to
> >open-source their drivers, but that parts of the driver code include
> >code (and other patented/copyrighted stuff??) from third parties,
> >such as SGI.  They cannot legally open their drivers without
> >permission from these third parties.
>
> You have not given the official website from which you are quoting the
> above information. So it is hard for me to comment anything upon it.

I didn't quote it from anywhere, it was just my recollection, hence "As
I understand it" :-)

> According to http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-5762319.html nvidia is
> afraid of a lawsuit regarding patent infringements etc., My feeling is
> that if nvidia wants to open source it, they can start writing the
> code from scratch. These completely open source drivers might not be
> great in the initial stages, but will improve in the due course.

I think nVidia will be unlikely to release drivers which are *known* to
be inferior, unfortunately: perhaps they'd be more likely to contribute
towards the already-existing open driver 'nv'.

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org