Re: Graphics Drivers (I'm new to Linux)

Dave Ewart wrote:

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
It is very sad that nvidia is not making their drivers open source. I
wonder if they are really gaining anything in the end (with all the
discomfort caused to their end users using Linux).

As I understand it: nVidia claim that they would *like* to open-source
their drivers, but that parts of the driver code include code (and other
patented/copyrighted stuff??) from third parties, such as SGI.  They
cannot legally open their drivers without permission from these third
parties.

Dave.
You have not given the official website from which you are quoting the above information. So it is hard for me to comment anything upon it.

According to http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-5762319.html nvidia is afraid of a lawsuit regarding patent infringements etc., My feeling is that if nvidia wants to open source it, they can start writing the code from scratch. These completely open source drivers might not be great in the initial stages, but will improve in the due course.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/