Re: Graphics Drivers (I'm new to Linux)

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

> It is very sad that nvidia is not making their drivers open source. I
> wonder if they are really gaining anything in the end (with all the
> discomfort caused to their end users using Linux).

As I understand it: nVidia claim that they would *like* to open-source
their drivers, but that parts of the driver code include code (and other
patented/copyrighted stuff??) from third parties, such as SGI.  They
cannot legally open their drivers without permission from these third
parties.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org
All email from me is now digitally signed, key from