Re: Dual boot comoputer

On Sat,  4 Mar 2006 00:33:39 -0700
nano@xmission.com wrote:

> Quoting cody chamberlain <cham0169@d.umn.edu>:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:04 -0700, nano@xmission.com wrote:
> >> Hi to all,
> >> I had a dual boot computer, Debian and Windows XP. The motherboard in the
> >> computer failed, the motherboard was replaced( I wasn't present when the mb
> >> was replaced) since then I can not acces debian.
> >
> > what exactly is meant that you cannot access debian? is grub/lilo still
> > available?
> No, lilo is not available, the computer boots into windows. I can see the
> partitions by using knoppix and partition magic (one hard drive with two
> partitions)
> > are you able to boot into your windows xp? at what point are
> > you not able to boot debian?
> Yes, I can boot into windows. The menu option to choose windows or debian is
> gone. How can I restore the options to choose windows or debian?
>
> thanks again
>
> Fernando
> >
> >>  Can someone tell me how to
> >> fix this?
> > we'll certainly try :^P
> >> and have again the dual boot computer?
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Fernando
> >>

> --

I see you have knoppix. Boot with it. Find out what your / partition is. I will assume it is /dev/hda2. Open a root console and type these commands:

umount /dev/hda2
mount -o rw /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/hda2/dev
chroot /mnt/hda2
mount /proc
grub-install
exit
reboot

This should do the trick ;)

Andrei
P.S. I think some steps can be ommitted, but it won't hurt if you do them :)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)