Re: aptitude --target target sarge xxx doesn't limit to sarge

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 10:06:24 -0500
"Daniel B." <REMOVEdanielTHIS@fgm.com> wrote:

> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 16:43:54 -0500
> > "Daniel B." <REMOVEdanielTHIS@fgm.com> wrote:
> >

> >>When I run "aptitude --target sarge install ...", aptitude doesn't
> >>listen to the instruction to install a version from Sarge; it installs
> >>a version from Testing.  (I have both Sarge and Testing mirrors in
> >>my APT sources list file.)
> >>
> >>What needs to be done to get "--target ..." (or APT::Default-Release)
> >>to work?

> > Hhhm... from man aptitude it seems the long option is --target-release
>  > (or -t).
>
> Aptitude accepts (sufficiently unambiguous) abbreviations of long option
> names.  The form "--target" appears to be sufficient.  (Note in my
> follow-up message that "--target" worked when I used the release name
> "stable".  Also, aptitude rejects unrecognized options--try "aptitude
> -targetJunkToMakeUnrecognized".)
>

>  > And you didn't specify what is your default release, if you did set one
>  > in /etc/apt/apt.conf
>  > If you didn't set it maybe you should...
>
> Why would I need to specify a default release when I'm specify a target
> release on the aptitude command line?
>
> (Note that it was because setting the default release to "sarge" in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/xxx doesn't work that I was trying "aptitude -t".)

AFAIK the default release is set in the file /etc/apt/apt.conf with an entry like

APT::Default-Release "stable";

This works for me, and I have a mixed system, mostly Sarge. When I want to install something from testing or unstable I just use the -t switch

HTH
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)