Re: Dual boot comoputer

On Saturday, 4 March 2006 09:33, nano@xmission.com wrote:
> Quoting cody chamberlain <cham0169@d.umn.edu>:
> > On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:04 -0700, nano@xmission.com wrote:
> >> Hi to all,
> >> I had a dual boot computer, Debian and Windows XP. The motherboard in
> >> the computer failed, the motherboard was replaced( I wasn't present when
> >> the mb was replaced) since then I can not acces debian.
> >
> > what exactly is meant that you cannot access debian? is grub/lilo still
> > available?
>
> No, lilo is not available, the computer boots into windows. I can see the
> partitions by using knoppix and partition magic (one hard drive with two
> partitions)
>
> > are you able to boot into your windows xp? at what point are
> > you not able to boot debian?
>
> Yes, I can boot into windows. The menu option to choose windows or debian
> is gone. How can I restore the options to choose windows or debian?
<snip>

Well, here is how I would approach the problem:

Boot up with any suitable Linux rescue cd, such as DSL or whatever, then, when
you have a root prompt (#), mount the debian root file system using something
like:

mount /dev/hda5 /mnt

Once it is mounted (the device name may vary - you can see what it is by
running fdisk /dev/hda and pressing p.

Once it is mounted, type:

chroot /mnt /bin/sh

You should return to a root prompt.

Type:

su -

This should put you into a "logged in" state.

You can run lilo or set up GRUB or whatever.

I hope this helps.

cheers
Duncan