Re: Laptop battery

Paul Johnson wrote:

Draining NiCds and NiMH batteries to empty is harmful. Don't do it, you're asking for permanent battery damage. It only works as a stopgap measure if

As a little bit more info on that, a battery is a collection of cells.
Not all the cells will discharge at exactly the same moment, and the
one which is completely exhausted first then gets current pumped
through it, "reverse" charging it. This can cause permanent damage to
that cell. And the next one, etc. This, of course, does damage to the
already weakest cell(s), further weakening them.

you don't have a good battery charger that burp-charges instead of trickle-charges the battery. Most laptop manufacturers get chintzy when it comes to the recharge circuit, and improperly trickle charge batteries that work best only when burp-charged.

Most laptops are made as cheaply as reasonably possible. Many of them
omit the heat sensors on NiMH, which I think is unconscionable, since
that CAN START FIRES.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.