Re: Clock jumps forward.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:27:50PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Every few days, I find my clock two hours fast. Easy enough to reset but ...
> why?
>
> I am running 2.6.15 kernel, Sid, and time is updated using ntp. Since my time
> zone is universal + two hours, maybe the two hours means something. Bug?

Does this happen after a reboot, and is your /usr filesystem separate
from the root filesystem?  If so, you can find an explanation in Debian
bug #342887 (search for "Henrique").

As a solution, you can replace the /etc/localtime symlink by a copy of
the actual file it points to. However, this has the consequence that you
will not benefit from future updates to the timezone files.

You did not specify which ntp tool you are using. "ntpd" refuses to
adjust your time if it is too far off, so in addition you might want to
use "ntpdate", which adjusts the time in a single step during bootup.
It could also work as a band-aid for setting your time correctly
if you do not want to apply the change to /etc/localtime.

Regards,
Mirko