Re: Laptop battery

On Friday 17 February 2006 10:05, John M Flinchbaugh wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 05:51:59PM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> > 	I've just recharged the battery which took just
> > over 23 minutes to reach 'fully charged'. Then switching
> > to it, in one minute I got 'Running off battery 11 mins
> > left' quickly followed by 'running out 0 mins left'.
> >
> > 	Can anyone offer any suggestions (solice is perhaps
> > too much to hope for). I've never had anything to do with
> > Laptops before, so I'm in the dark.
>
> When my R40's battery life slowly dropped from 4-5 hours to 1 hour, I
> decided to recalibrate it by running it down completely, so it could
> have a better idea how long it really could run.

Draining NiCds and NiMH batteries to empty is harmful.  Don't do it, you're
asking for permanent battery damage.  It only works as a stopgap measure if
you don't have a good battery charger that burp-charges instead of
trickle-charges the battery.  Most laptop manufacturers get chintzy when it
comes to the recharge circuit, and improperly trickle charge batteries that
work best only when burp-charged.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber