Re: Laptop battery

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 05:51:59PM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> 	I've just recharged the battery which took just
> over 23 minutes to reach 'fully charged'. Then switching
> to it, in one minute I got 'Running off battery 11 mins
> left' quickly followed by 'running out 0 mins left'.
>
> 	Can anyone offer any suggestions (solice is perhaps
> too much to hope for). I've never had anything to do with
> Laptops before, so I'm in the dark.

When my R40's battery life slowly dropped from 4-5 hours to 1 hour, I
decided to recalibrate it by running it down completely, so it could
have a better idea how long it really could run.

Once the battery meter warned me that I had 0 minutes left, I rebooted
it to the LILO prompt, stopped it there and let it drain the battery
until it just died and couldn't be turned back on.  I think it ran for
nearly another hour after initially reporting empty, so obviously it
was a bit out of calibration.

After a recharge, the battery meter more accurately reported that I
had 2 hours left.  It was still degraded from original performance, but
I at least regained a little extra use before having to replace this
aging battery.

--
John M Flinchbaugh
john@hjsoft.com