Re: udev is ruining my life

Daniel B. wrote:

> What wasn't thought out well with udev?  (I'm asking whether you mean
> there's a problem in its core design or whether you just mean that the
> implications weren't all thought out and handled fully before users were
> exposed to it.)

I think the people who don't like udev don't like the core design
because it works in the opposite way devfs did.  With devfs, a program
would access a /dev entry and the kernel would load the appropriate
kernel module.  With udev, you have to load the kernel module (and the
device you want to use must be "on") before an entry appears in the /dev
directory.