Re: udev is ruining my life

On Friday 10 February 2006 03:42 am, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Mitchell Laks (<mlaks@verizon.net>) wrote:
> > Now we cant upgrade debian provided kernels beyond 2.6.11 without
> > udev? Why is this a prerequisite?? I can install my own kernel without
> > it.
>
> Of course you can. Debian kernels (even 2.6.15) work fine without udev
> and don't depend on it. What you can't do is:
>
> 1. try to make kernels >= 2.6.12 work with udev from sarge

My main point is that there is something wrong with the default setups given
to us with udev.

Currently, udev breaks such basic things as installing raids and installing
sound. That is crazy.

udev replaces a static directory that just works with a dynamic directory. I
think that is great, in principle.

" debian kernel upgrade > 2.6.12 forces you to install udev " by that I mean -
if you blow away udev because of what I said, then debian has udev as a
prerequisite for the later kernels and apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12+
from sid (i guess now)  forced you to reinstall udev

(at least this was true last time I tried it -  I  now just compile my own
kernel in frustration).

WHY?

In fact you dont need udev - I know this - I am running 2.6.15-3 without udev
thank your very much.

However, before udev is foisted upon the masses it should come configured so
that all the basic static devices we have gotten used to in normal life will
work without breaking (I am talking static devices -  raid and sound here not
hotplugging in exotic devices and expecting constant names - which is
something someone can play with if they want it), and then we can use
whatever "powers" we have grown with udev to move on to higher levels - if we
choose to...

Static devices should have  some kind of autoconfig in the udev installation I
guess.

I should think that this would be a basic requirement. Otherwise udev should
be strictly optional and not required at all in normal life.

MItchell