Re: udev is ruining my life

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 10:25:29AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Mitchell Laks wrote:
>
> "Last time" (TM) I tried udev it was a disaster. I now run 2.6.15-ck3
> w/o udev. Everything fine.
>
> This subject keeps coming up and as I watch the threads AFAICS udev's
> rationale is architectural. Better for the world ultimately, but as of
> yet a headache for the "common user", most of the time?, many times?,
> sometimes?

Udev was a response to devfs.

Sadly, BOTH systems were poorly thought out.  Devfs tried to cover
dev, but was a VFS file system that the kernel maintainers thought
violated the unspoken, unwritten design rules of the kernel (devfs
forced "policy" into the kernel, or so it was claimed), besides
having a few bugs early on.

Udev was the user space devfs, but unfortunately, it was also designed
to cover all of dev, instead of just the sub-set of hot attach/detach
devices that make sense for a "dynamic" device file system.

Obviously, better interaction with existing kernel infrastructure is
necessary before udev can go live.

John S.