post install tidbits? [was Help with Linux selection please?]

post install tidbits? [was Help with Linux selection please?]

Well, you-all steered me right :-) for my needs - thank you.  I feel so
much cleaner now that there is no Windoze system in the house.

If one does their homework and has decent supported hardware, it's a
piece of cake :-P  Though being used to a Mac (Darwin Unix) there are
enough little differences to keep one on their toes (like Terminal
control sequences).

"She who must be obeyed" is happy with her Thunderbird, Firefox and card
games, but not overjoyed with my Gaelic naming scheme.  I'm not ready to
put up GNUstep yet, but I am going to try to get BOINC going again on
the PC before I get back to my Mac development.  No point in wasting all
that idle time.

There are three little items I have not been able to resolve yet though,
and would appreciate any pointers:

1)  When booting up, can the keyboard Num Lock be defaulted to On?  I
keep forgetting to hit the Num Lock key before any digits in passwords
and it's an unconscious habit to use the number pad rather than the top
row of the character  section of the keyboard.

2)  I have my BIOS quieted, but Grub (I guess) is rather verbose.  I
changed the setting in etc/default/rcS to VERBOSE=no but it doesn't seem
to make any difference :-(  Is there a way to quiet the Linux boot?

3)  How do I put the monitor (only) to sleep after say 10 minutes of
inactivity.  On my Mac I do this with an Energy Saver setting and also
did it on the PC when it had Windoze (about the only thing it did well :-)

One list issue also that I hate to bring up given the "Unsubscribe"
thread :-)  and I did send the question to listmaster@lists.debian.org
but have received no answer (though two days is not unreasonable :-). I
found this list on GMANE also so I can follow it and post from my NR.
The problem is that I still also get the emails and am reluctant to send
an "unsubscribe" fearing I might then not be able to post from my NR.
Is this a catch-22?

Thank you for your patience,
Lee C