Re: post install tidbits? [was Help with Linux selection please?]

Andrew M.A. Cater spoketh:
Linux hearts card game on Google shows two good entries at the top.

One appears to be a project started this year: the other is about 9
years old on freshmeat. Those might be a good start to look at.

Mike McCarty spoketh:
Google is your friend. Searching for

+linux +hearts +card +game

got *several* hits.

I had googled and did again, and the only "hit" I find that is anywhere near close is hearts-1.98 (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/GAMES-ENTERTAINMENT/Fortune/Hearts-2573.shtml) -> (http://hearts.luispedro.org/) which when I tried to build it dies in the ./configure with something about X paths not found. When I do this sort of thing on my Mac I know where everything is, how to add to PATH/env variables, etc. Since one does not get up to speed overnight, I guess "hearts" will just have to wait until I do (unless someone has already installed it and wants to hold my hand =-O )

Mike McCarty spoketh:
/boot/grub/menu.lst

 look for a line like this:
 kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1-686 root=/dev/hde1 ro

 and make it more like this:
 kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1-686 root=/dev/hde1 ro quiet splash

That's certainly clear enough - thank you. But it didn't help - as was previously noted the display log is most likely post grub. I think someone mentioned something about X windows config - I'll look for that.

Andrew M.A. Cater spoketh about switching between Gnome and KDE:
If you have a boot manager (gdm/kdm) running - select under Session

and Mike McCarty spoketh:
Not precisely. But one can shut down the window manager and restart the
other. Or change the user preference. Or have two user logins with
different preferences.

What I did was select KDE at the graphical login screen. I could even pick a Mac OS X style :-) :-) In the Desktop configuration GUI there were settings for power management that I don't remember seeing for Gnome. In trying such it has gotten as far as standby so far and come back reliably. Have to wait another 30 minutes to see if it handles full monitor power down and back. So at least with KDE I'm closer to resolving that issue :-)

What I don't like is that the largest screen resolution I can set is 800x600 :-( How can I get back to 1024x768 that I selected during install?

Have not got back to numlock yet.

Gotta get back to reading,
Lee C