Re: RAR under linux: any alternative?

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 00:00:26 -0300
Gabriel <nqtnn.gabo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve Kemp wrote:

> >  apt-cache search rar unrar
> >
> >  Gives you this in the output:
> >
> >  unrar-free - Unarchiver for .rar files
> >  unrar - Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
     ^^^^^
> Thank you so much... I had searched with "apt-cache search rar" but
> it came up with a lot of packages...
> Now I found the package unrar-free, but it won't work unless the rar
> files are from a version <3.0.
> I also tried with p7zip... the POSIX version of 7-zip... but it
> doesn't support rar files...
>
> If anyone else know about an application that works with rar files
> =>3.0 I'll be really pleased.
> I give up.

If you noticed, the output from apt-cache that Steve quoted showed two
packages for unpacking .rar files. One was unrar-free, which you tried
and the other was 'unrar'. If you do an "apt-cache show unrar-free" it
will also mention that the non-free version of unrar can unpack .rar
files =>3.0.

You might want to apt-get install unrar (and rar while you're at it, if
you have any need to pack .rar files) and see if it works better for
you.

HTH,
Jacob