Re: RAR under linux: any alternative?

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 11:35:35PM -0300, Gabriel wrote:

>    yeah, I know that, but I was talking about a program to decompress RAR
>    files... I know I don't really need it, but today a friend sent me a rar
>    file and I needed to tell  him to recompress it as zip and send it
>    again... (of course that the first thing he did was talk about the
>    dis-advantages  of using GNU/Linux...)

>    So I want it so the next time it happens I won't give anyone the chance to
>    defame GNU =P

  You can use the 'apt-cache' command to search for programs by
 keywords.  For example running:

  apt-cache search rar unrar

  Gives you this in the output:

  unrar-free - Unarchiver for .rar files
  unrar - Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)

  Install it as usual:

  apt-get install unrar-free

  Then use it with:

  unrar-free x file.rar  (From memory, I haven't used it for a while).

  You can also search for packages on the Debian website at:

    http://packages.debian.org/

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration