getting going with midi

I have an audigy card and pmidi installed. I can play wav, mpeg,
etc. files etc. using applications such as gxine and xmms. However, I
would now like to play a .midi file.

I have pmidi installed. To find the available ports I do:

   $ pmidi -l
   Port     Client name                       Port name
   64:0     Audigy MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmid    Audigy MPU-401 (UART)
   64:32    Audigy MPU-401 (UART) - Rawmid    Audigy MPU-401 #2

I have a symlink /dev/midi --> /dev/midi00. The midi00 is 660
root:audio. User is in the audio group.

So then I'd assume this command should play a midi file:

   $ pmidi -p 64:0 filename.midi

But instead, it just hangs with no sound out.

Any suggestions

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM