Re: RAR under linux: any alternative?

Oliver Lupton wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:02:50 -0300
Gabriel <nqtnn.gabo@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone know a free software alternative to RAR???

Use 'tar' combined with gzip or bzip2 to create a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2
man tar, man bzip2 and man gzip for more info :)

HTH

-ol

yeah, I know that, but I was talking about a program to decompress RAR files... I know I don't really need it, but today a friend sent me a rar file and I needed to tell  him to recompress it as zip and send it again... (of course that the first thing he did was talk about the dis-advantages  of using GNU/Linux...)
So I want it so the next time it happens I won't give anyone the chance to defame GNU =P

sorry for the bad english

--

Gabriel Parrondo