Re: How to make a raid 1 on a webserver on woody remotely

codedummy@hotmail.com a écrit :

>Hello,

Hi,

>Has anybody a tutorial or a success story about this kind of task?

I made it many time (not remotely, but it make no difference), it was
the only solution before software raid was supported in debian (before
sarge)

>I have a webserver already running with two identical discs but currently
>setup without any redundancy (just simple backup).
>Can I prepare the second IDE disc on the fly to be part of a mirror set
>(raid 1)?
>The filesystem ist ext2...
>I am a newbie on debian and don't know if the kernel supports raid at all.
>
>I have to be 100 % sure that this "upgrade" works and wanted to do it that
>way:
>
>repartition drive 2

Use the same partiton scheme on both disk
Before formating the drive 2, change partition type to Linux Raid,
create the raid array with the drive 1 faulty

>format drive 2 (create a fs)

Here, you have your /dev/mdX

>copy system from drive 1 to drive 2

Before you copy the system, stop daemons like apache and others.

>change all reference from drive 1 to drive 2
>add a second system to LILO

If lilo doesn't support raid (i don't remember if the version of woody
support raid), you can use /dev/hdX (or /dev/sdX) with the root=/dev/mdX
directive (It work only with raid1).

>reboot the system to drive 2

Before you reboot, you have to create a new initrd. This initrd must
load the raid1 module at boot (you can make that with the file
/etc/mkinitrd/modules).
It was the critical part if you make it remotely. If you forget
something and your system doesn't reboot, you can't go back to your old
system without a physical reboot.
Make a lot of test before you reconstruct the raid array with the drive
1, you can't go back after that (your raid array can work with a faulty
drive without problem).

>build first raid drive on drive 2

With software raid, you don't have to reboot. After you reconstruct your
raid array wit drive 1, you are in the last step : having a raid 1 and
then sleep better!

>reboot to drive 2
>add drive 1
>reboot
>having a raid 1 and then sleep better...
>
>Any details/changes to the process are welcome!

If it's your first time, make some test on a computer you can acces
physicaly before.