Re: How to make a raid 1 on a webserver on woody remotely

codedummy@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anybody a tutorial or a success story about this kind of task?
>
> I have a webserver already running with two identical discs but currently
> setup without any redundancy (just simple backup).
> Can I prepare the second IDE disc on the fly to be part of a mirror set
> (raid 1)?
> The filesystem ist ext2...
> I am a newbie on debian and don't know if the kernel supports raid at all.
>
> I have to be 100 % sure that this "upgrade" works and wanted to do it that
> way:
>
> repartition drive 2
> format drive 2 (create a fs)
> copy system from drive 1 to drive 2
> change all reference from drive 1 to drive 2
> add a second system to LILO
> reboot the system to drive 2
> build first raid drive on drive 2
> reboot to drive 2
> add drive 1
> reboot
> having a raid 1 and then sleep better...
>
> Any details/changes to the process are welcome!
>
> Please help...Thank you very much
> Peter

This is likely not possible.  You would need to have to similarly sized
(or indentically sized) partitions *and* each would have to be marked as
partition type "Linux RAID."  If there is already a filesystem on the
partition, it is not possible to redesignate the partition type without
making the data on it inaccessible.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez