Re: Help connect a Nikon D70s camera to a debian box

H.S. wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote:

Gphoto documentation states Nikon d70 as a ptp mode camera. ptpcam
states that, as well.

If I use the usb mass storage option, I get lines like these on my
dmesg, whe I turn the camera on:

Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001445
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001446
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001455
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 2001487
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001424
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001425
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001426

If I insist and try to mount it, I get:

frank:/home/bruno# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb1
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
frank:/home/bruno# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usb1
mount: /dev/sdb1: can't read superblock

If I use the ptp mode instead, both gphoto and ptpcam can see the camera
and download files.
The only explanation is D70 being differently detected than D70s, which
I find odd.

Anyway, ptp mode s doing well now. I'd only like to access it in a
non-root account.

Okay, I have to ask this now:
1. To what groups do you belong as a normal user? (what is the output of
groups command?)

bruno@frank:~$ groups
bruno dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev

2. What is the output of this command:
$> dpkg -l *udev* *gphoto* pmount gnome-volume-manager | grep ^i
frank:/home/bruno# dpkg -l *udev* *gphoto* pmount gnome-volume-manager | grep ^i
No packages found matching pmount.
No packages found matching gnome-volume-manager.
ii gphoto2 2.1.5-1 The gphoto2 digital camera command-line client
ii libgphoto2-2 2.1.5-6 gphoto2 digital camera library
ii libgphoto2-2-dev 2.1.5-6 gphoto2 digital camera library (development fi
ii libgphoto2-port0 2.1.5-6 gphoto2 digital camera port library
ii udev 0.056-3 /dev/ management daemon

3. What are you using: Gnome, KDE, or some other manager?

kde

->HS