Re: Help connect a Nikon D70s camera to a debian box

René Seindal wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote (25-11-2005 21:15):

H.S. wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote:
Alexis Huxley wrote:

  So, I set the camera to ptp, turn it off, plug the usb cable. Set
it on, dmesg reports new full usb device. That's all the success I get.

Try it as root. Does it work? If so then follow instructions at
http://dione.no-ip.org/~alexis/computing/ahdg/ahdg/ahdgse144.html#x427-233000A.3

relating regarding the 'camera' group. Log out and in again to activate.

Alexis

Thanks Alexis! I can access the camera as root, indeed. As soon as I get
home I´ll try your suggestion.

If your camera is supposed to be mounted as a USB device, I think you
should also be in the plugdev group.

->HS

The camera isn´t a usb device. Every linux tuto in the web tells me to use it as a ptp device. Its intriguing, actually, because its setup has a 'USB mass storage' option. Maybe Nikon´s usb implementation is uncompliant?

I have a Nikon D70 and it works great with usb storage. I have unloaded gigabytes of photos like that.

Set it to USB Storage in the setup on the camera and attach it to the computer. Look in your system log to see what device it is assigned and mount it as a vfat file system.

If you run Gnome with the gnome-volume-manager it will be mounted and opened automatically when you plug it in.

You have absolutely no need for gphoto for the D70.

Gphoto documentation states Nikon d70 as a ptp mode camera. ptpcam states that, as well.

If I use the usb mass storage option, I get lines like these on my dmesg, whe I turn the camera on:

Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001445
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001446
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001455
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 2001487
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001424
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001425
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 2001426

If I insist and try to mount it, I get:

frank:/home/bruno# mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb1
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
frank:/home/bruno# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usb1
mount: /dev/sdb1: can't read superblock

If I use the ptp mode instead, both gphoto and ptpcam can see the camera and download files. The only explanation is D70 being differently detected than D70s, which I find odd.

Anyway, ptp mode s doing well now. I'd only like to access it in a non-root account.