Help connect a Nikon D70s camera to a debian box

So, I set the camera to ptp, turn it off, plug the usb cable. Set it on, dmesg reports new full usb device. That's all the success I get.

   Gphoto2 won't access the camera, like this:

bruno@frank:~$ gphoto2 --list-files

*** Error ***
Could not detect any camera
*** Error (-105: 'Unknown model') ***

For debugging messages, please use the --debug option.
Debugging messages may help finding a solution to your problem.
If you intend to send any error or debug messages to the gphoto
developer mailing list <gphoto-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>, please run
gphoto2 as follows:

   env LANG=C gphoto2 --debug --list-files

Please make sure there is sufficient quoting around the arguments.

I have libgphoto2-2, libgphoto2-2-dev, gphoto2, libgphoto2-port0 installed.
Any help?

Thanks!