Re: Request to remove Information

On (25/11/05 18:24), marc wrote:
> Ron Johnson said...
> "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was
> greatest before there was any civilization, though then, it is true, it
> had for the most part no value, since the individual was scarcely in a
> position to defend it. The development of civilization imposes
> restrictions on it, and justice demands that no one shall escape those
> restrictions."
>
>       Sigmund Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents, 1929
>
> Read something like Philip Ball's 'Critical Mass' for a geek-friendly
> take on this stuff.

Whilst we're on interesting reading, Ronald Wright's 'A Short History of
Progress' provides a take on civilisations, past and present, which is
highly thought provoking.  Examining the rise and fall of the
Sumerian, Mayan, Egyptian and Roman civilisations he points to the
parallels today.

Regards

Clive

--