Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Em Dom, 2005-11-13 às 17:19 -0500, Carl Fink escreveu:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:16:27AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> > Carl Fink wrote:
>
> > >Why use a distro if you're going to have to manually install things anyway?
> > >
> > That might make sense if we were just installing an OS but everyone
> > certainly has different needs in applications.
>
> That's why I said "distro" (short for "distribution") and not "operating
> system".
>
> A selling point[1] of Debian has been how many applications are available
> for it.  That stops working when the most-desired applications aren't
> included.

They are included in the unstable distribution (whose programs are
stable).
The latest programs, by the very definition of "stable", can not be
included in stable. If you change the programs included in a stable it
isn't stable anymore.
You run stable in order to have a perfectly stable bases on which you
can build your computer. This way when something goes wrong it is very
easy to find the responsible.

Michel.