Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Carl Fink wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 01:09:10PM +0000, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>

>>Version 1 has perfectly adequate support for linking to databases.
>

> Where you presumably mean "barely usable support if you're already a
> database expert"?  At least that's what *I* have.

I meant what I said.  We have OGo connecting to a previously-existing
mysql database, for mailshots etc.  It works perfectly well.  I can only
speak from my experience.

>>In the time that you spent composing that post, you could have searched
>>the list archives and learnt how to install it.  I doubt you could have
>>created any impressive documents in that time.
>

> Why use a distro if you're going to have to manually install things anyway?

One doesn't *have* to manually install anything.  When choosing a
distro, one must realise that you can't have stability *and* the very
latest software versions.

The install of OO2 is incredibly easy for those who want to be on the
bleeding edge and enjoy the latest bugs.  Downloading a bunch of files,
running alien, and then dpkg is hardly rocket science.  It's documented
in the list archives.  Several people have done it successfully.