Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Scott wrote:

I was absolutely blown away by this:

The latest official Debian Sarge package for Firefox is for v 1.04!
http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/m/mozilla-firefox/

I'm rather surprised to see this.  Why?

Firefox is currently @ 1.07 and every "point" release since 1.0 has been
due to security issues.

It's normal for the Debian security team to backport changes into the existing code base in Debian. Thus I expect the Firefox 1.04 to be the vanilla source 1.04 plus backported security fixes. This is a _good_ thing as it means less changes on an update. This is one of the strengths of the Debian approach.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support@opentrend.net