Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Bruce Hohl wrote:

>>>No. Stable does not get new packages, other than
>>>bug/security fixes and the like.
>>>

>>And that my friends, is Debian's biggest flaw when
>>it comes to the desktop user.  It's also why I'll
>>never run stable.
>>
>>At least Ubuntu promises you won't have to wait more
>>than 6 months for the next stable release.
>>
>>And there's Fedora Core, who's latest release has
>>been out for several months.  They added
>>OpenOffice.org 2, to their updates repository
>>shortly after it's release.
>>
>>And that my friends is what brought me to Debian
>>etch/sid.
>>

> OpenOffice 2.0 is an important piece of software.  So
> important that for many "desktop" users like myself it
> likely will drive choice of distribution/version.  I
> changed one PC to Ubuntu 5.10 for OO 2.0.  I hope that
> OO 2.0 will be available for Testing soon.

Well at least with OpenOffice.org, you can just download the software
from them directly but then...

You lose the tweaks that most Linux distributions add (like better
integration with GNOME and KDE).

The same is true for Firefox (at least the GNOME integration part).

And in many cases you lose the advantage of the program you downloaded
not being in package format (e.g. deb or rpm).

That was one of my motivations to try Debian sid out.  I figured with
testing/unstable I'd have a better chance of seeing my favorite packages
in Debian packages sooner, rather than later.

I was running Ubuntu 5.10 last week and had installed OOo 2.0.  At the
time it wasn't in any official repo yet, but an Ubuntu developer had it
on his site. There are links listed that you can add to your
sources.list file. I don't think it will show up in an Ubuntu repo till
it gets to Breezy Backports (and that just barely opened or till Ubuntu
6.04 is released.

See
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-October/012520.html
for details.

Ok now back to Debian. ;-)

I was absolutely blown away by this:

The latest official Debian Sarge package for Firefox is for v 1.04!
http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/m/mozilla-firefox/

I'm rather surprised to see this.  Why?

Firefox is currently @ 1.07 and every "point" release since 1.0 has been
due to security issues.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/

It's *especially* true with the latest version.

OK, Debian developers, help me out on this one will ya? ;-)

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com