grammar checkers

And now back to my first digression:  I realize that Abiword's latest
> has a grammar check (coincidentally, I also had no problem installing
> the latest Abiword on Sarge, which means anyone could install it, the
> newest of the new, on Sarge).  However, it fell far short of WordPerfect
> 6.1's Grammatik (released just as mankind was picking up sticks and
> learning to beat the Monolith, I believe).  Likewise, Diction, a Unix
> tool, has been around forever; so, why do Linux word processors not have
> something that Windows word processors have had since mankind first
> realized the significance of having an opposable digit?

That must have been some grammar checker in WP 6.1.  Every one I've ever
used in Word (up through Word 2000) sucked.

It was very good.  It would not only point out grammar errors, but gave thorough explanations as well (for example: "This sentence is in the passive voice, ie, 'The ball was thrown by John'.  Consider rewording to the active voice, ie, 'John threw the ball'").

A function of computers is to help people to communicate, and become empowered.  Some computer users are recent immigrants, for whom English is not their first language.   Some computer users did not have a chance to attend post-secondary education, and worry about how they sound.  And some are educated, but still like to have both their spelling and grammar checked once in a while.  Whenever I ask, in a Linux forum, why Linux word processors do not have grammar checkers, I usually receive snobby answers implying that grammar checkers are stupid, and therefore so am I.  And this always surprises me.

Of course, my being surprised by snobbishness from the Linux community is kinda stupid on my part, I suppose.

Anyway, I will now get off my soapbox.