Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005, Scott wrote:
>
>> I was absolutely blown away by this:
>>
>> The latest official Debian Sarge package for Firefox is for v 1.04!
>> http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/m/mozilla-firefox/
>>
>> I'm rather surprised to see this.  Why?
>>
>> Firefox is currently @ 1.07 and every "point" release since 1.0 has been
>> due to security issues.
>

> It's normal for the Debian security team to backport changes into the
> existing code base in Debian.  Thus I expect the Firefox 1.04 to be the
> vanilla source 1.04 plus backported security fixes.  This is a _good_
> thing as it means less changes on an update.  This is one of the
> strengths of the Debian approach.

Perhaps, but it's also confusing to anyone coming to Debian from another
Linux distro.   Let's just hope they *properly* update the user agent
string..

I say, that approach is fine, but why not show the right freakin version
number?  Even if they didn't have to backport, patching would be simpler
than starting over from scratch anyway.    Heck the next version of
Firefox will do it that way anyway (assuming one is using a version
downloaded from Mozilla, that is).

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com