Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

>>> 3- OpenOffice 2 was recently added to Debian
>>> Unstable.  Is it likely that OpenOffice 2 will be
>>> added to Debian Stable.  If so when?
>>>

>> No. Stable does not get new packages, other than
>> bug/security fixes and the like.
>>

> And that my friends, is Debian's biggest flaw when
> it comes to the desktop user.  It's also why I'll
> never run stable.
>
> At least Ubuntu promises you won't have to wait more
> than 6 months for the next stable release.
>
> And there's Fedora Core, who's latest release has
> been out for several months.  They added
> OpenOffice.org 2, to their updates repository
> shortly after it's release.
>
> And that my friends is what brought me to Debian
> etch/sid.

OpenOffice 2.0 is an important piece of software.  So
important that for many "desktop" users like myself it
likely will drive choice of distribution/version.  I
changed one PC to Ubuntu 5.10 for OO 2.0.  I hope that
OO 2.0 will be available for Testing soon.

http://mail.yahoo.com