Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

furufuru@ccsr.u-tokyo.ac.jp wrote:
> Of course!  But, I'm talking about COMMON functions such as
> selecting regions of text, copying it to the clipboard, pasting it,

    Which is what I alluded to so I have no idea why all this bluster before
getting to where I agree with you.  *shrug*

> jumping to another window,

    In what context?  What happens when you have a window inside of a
window.... whoops.

> when you search a text, jump to the top of the line, and copy
> the line in the mail summary window as when you search, jump,
> and copy a part of your source code in a text-editing window.

    Yes, and handy keys those are.  *points to end, home, pgup, pgdn, etc*

> Exactly.  And that small percentage is what you use most
> frequently in your daily life.  At least this is true for me.

    Which doesn't imply that one should program everything inside a text
editor.  The proper way would be to provide that functionality globally by a
controlling program or, failing that, community standards.

>>    Speaking as someone who has switched no
>>less than 6 times in his lifetime and switches several times
>>a day I can only see that as a huge hinderance.

> Hindrance to what?

    To switching.  The software I use today is not the same software I used a
year ago, 2 years ago, 5 years ago, 10 years ago.  I am constantly looking for
better ways to do things.  Interchangability GOOD.  Proprietary lock-ins BAD.

> Perhaps you work very differently than I.
> I don't have a motivation to switch editors, so I don't know
> what problem is there in not switching editors.

    Flexibility comes to mind.  Not only in one's work environment but one's
self.  Consider it the zen of the editor wars.  vi or emacs?  Hell, I was the
little voice to the side that was saying joe.  Nowadays I move from vim
(code/mail/news) to Thunderbird (mail) to OpenOffice (personal writing
project) to whatever internal editor is on Firefox.  Somehow not being able to
use the exact same keystrokes for some functions certainly hasn't killed my
ability to do work.  In fact when confronted with a lack of options I can make
do with what is available.

> (Another important requirement is that the keys shouldn't
> be far from the home position.  I hate to use arrow keys,
> for example.  My keyboard even doesn't have ones!)

    Which is plain foolishness.  Again the whole zen of the editor wars thing.
 People quibble about the microscopic amount of time it takes them to move
their hands here and there yet want common keys.  How much more common can you
get than dedicated keys for the functions you want?  *shrug*  Whatever.