Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom -UPDATE

Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2005, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > On 10 Oct 2005, Basajaun wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a similar problem here, and sysfs won't help. My
> > > /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info file is empty (contains the "drive name:"...
> > > entries, but w/o a value). Also my /sys/bus/ide/devices/ dir is empty.
> > > I am running Debian Etch with kernel 2.6.12-1-686-smp (on a P4 with
> > > HT), udev 0.070-2.
> > >

> > Glad I'm not the only one - thought I was going mad!
> >
> > I've now found a version of the kernel tree (2.6.13.2) on my laptop and
> > compiled it for my desktop, and I find it *does* compile and *does*
> > recognize my cd drive. This is welcome, of course, but I wish I
> > understood what is happening.
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> I've just fetched the vanilla 2.6.13.3. It compiles correctly  and
> recognizes my CD drives. So it looks as if the problem has been
> recognized and fixed in the most recent versions.
>
> Anthony

I have compiled a 2.6.13.4 source from kernel.org, and the problem
stays (no wonder, being the first kernel I compile. What bewilders me
is that my comp didn't catch fire or something when I booted it on my
compiled 2.6.13.4 :^).

Where did you find the 2.6.13.3 package? I have Etch and Sid sources in
/etc/apt/sources.list, and 2.6.12 is the latest aptitude finds. Also,
search in the Debian site gives 2.6.12 as the official kernel for Etch
and Sid... could you post the sources.list line that does the trick,
please?

     Basajaun