Re: Building backports and local repositories

Quoting David <dbree@duo-county.com>:

I'm wanting to install a few backports and want to verify that I'm not
about to hose any of my system.  I'm running Sarge...

[SNIP lost of stuff]

Now the question:  Does the above not create a set of valid debs that I
can safely install?  More generally, is all that's required to
produce a stock backport just to download the source, and the diff file
and compile - doing whatever is required to eliminate all compile
errors?

Glad you asked.  I have written a HOWTO on customizing Debian packages
(backporting is essentially just a customization) here:

http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

One further question regarding apt.  I have created a local APT
repository which appears will be ready to install my new packages.
However, the documentation seemed to imply that a line in
/etc/apt/preferences such as:

   Pin: origin ""

would refer to local files.  However, my result seemed to be similar to
that of many others from searching the archives.  The only way I could
get my local repository to be preferred was to put a line "Origin:
Local" into my Release file and then have a line "Pin: release o=Local"
in my preferences file.  Not a problem, but it would have been neater
IMO, if I could have used the original plan.

I am not sure what the layout of your repository is, but you may want to check
out the HOWTO I wrote on to create your own local repository:

http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debrepository

It is an "automatic" repository, which means that pinning should work as it does
for the main Debian archive and other repositories which use the automatic
layout (as opposed to the trivial layout).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto