Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom

Stephen R Laniel wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:35:09PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > 2.6.13 won't access /cdrom and 2.6.12 segfaults when I try this. It is
> > then impossible to log out normally and I have to pull the plug on the
> > computer!
>
> Well, that sounds a touch drastic. First of all, do you mean
> /cdrom? There should be no such file. Do you mean
> /dev/cdrom? That used to exist, but I believe it's been
> deleted: it used to be a symlink to something like /dev/hdc
> (or whatever your CD-ROM drive device was), but lots of
> people have multiple CD/DVD drives; how is Linux supposed to
> know which one to symlink to?
>
> The proper approach now, I believe, is to use sysfs. See
> below for the info on my system. It says that my CD drive is
> /dev/hdc, which I can then -- if I want -- make a symlink
> to. I don't know how to make that symlink permanent, such
> that /dev/cdrom is there when I reboot.
>
> (09:39) slaniel@TheloniousMonk:~/private$ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
> CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17
>
> drive name:             hdc

[snip]

I have a similar problem here, and sysfs won't help. My
/proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info file is empty (contains the "drive name:"...
entries, but w/o a value). Also my /sys/bus/ide/devices/ dir is empty.
I am running Debian Etch with kernel 2.6.12-1-686-smp (on a P4 with
HT), udev 0.070-2.

If I boot under 2.4.27-2-686-smp (w/o udev, of course), the /dev/hdc
device is created, and I can mount a CD just fine. With 2.6.12, not
even dmesg acknowlegdes the presence of the CD drive, no /dev entry is
created, and no info appears in /sys (I mean, regarding the CD drive).

Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with module ide-detect?
Kernel 2.4 has it, but not 2.6. Somewhere I read to add "ide-generic"
to /etc/modules, in place of "ide-detect" (which would only make the
system complain everytime I booted into 2.6, anyway), and it didn't
help.

Another idea is: does it have anything to do with the fact that 2.4
sees my SATA drive as IDE, and 2.6 sees it as SCSI? Maybe 2.6 doesn't
find IDE drives, and doesn't load some modules which are later needed
for the CD? I seem to be seeing them loaded, however:

#>lsmod | grep ide
ide_cd                 43748  0
cdrom                  41088  1 ide_cd
ide_disk               19104  0
ide_generic             1376  0 [permanent]
ide_core              132352  4 ide_cd,ide_disk,ide_generic,usb_storage

I have to add that I disabled hotplug on boot (after doing a "lsmod |
awk '{print $1}' >> /etc/modules"), because it made the computer take
forever (over 15m!!) to boot. Now, w/o hotplug, it is much faster, but
still very slow. And before anyone jumps on me, the problem was there
when I was running hotplug...

Can someone help?

     Basajaun