Re: Statically-linked binaries

Quoting Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com>:

Hello,

Is there anyone packaging statically-linked executables so that one doesn't
worry about shared libraries? I'm thinking something like a single set-up
file which will then install to the intended locations without the worry
about dependencies.

malebo

That is typcially a bad idea. For example, on my fairly minimal desktop system, I have no less than 31 applications linked against libssl. Now, if all of those
were instead statically linked, a security vulnerability would be a real
problem.  Rather than upgrade one dynamic library package and restart any
daemons that are linked to it, I now have to upgrade 31 completely different
packages.  That is a real pain.

There are very good reasons for using dynamic linking whenever possible.

-Robetro

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto