Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom -UPDATE

On 11 Oct 2005, Basajaun wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:

> > > Glad I'm not the only one - thought I was going mad!
> > >
> > > I've now found a version of the kernel tree (2.6.13.2) on my laptop and
> > > compiled it for my desktop, and I find it *does* compile and *does*
> > > recognize my cd drive. This is welcome, of course, but I wish I
> > > understood what is happening.
> > >
> > > Anthony
> > >

> > I've just fetched the vanilla 2.6.13.3. It compiles correctly  and
> > recognizes my CD drives. So it looks as if the problem has been
> > recognized and fixed in the most recent versions.
> >
> > Anthony
>
> I have compiled a 2.6.13.4 source from kernel.org, and the problem
> stays (no wonder, being the first kernel I compile. What bewilders me
> is that my comp didn't catch fire or something when I booted it on my
> compiled 2.6.13.4 :^).
>
> Where did you find the 2.6.13.3 package? I have Etch and Sid sources in
> /etc/apt/sources.list, and 2.6.12 is the latest aptitude finds. Also,
> search in the Debian site gives 2.6.12 as the official kernel for Etch
> and Sid... could you post the sources.list line that does the trick,
> please?
>
>      Basajaun

I got it from ftp.kernel.org, i.e. the vanilla kernel source.
Subsequently I also got the relevant linux-image from
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/ and this seems to
work as well.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian