Re: 2.6.12 and 2.6.13 won't access cdrom

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:35:09PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> 2.6.13 won't access /cdrom and 2.6.12 segfaults when I try this. It is
> then impossible to log out normally and I have to pull the plug on the
> computer!

Well, that sounds a touch drastic. First of all, do you mean
/cdrom? There should be no such file. Do you mean
/dev/cdrom? That used to exist, but I believe it's been
deleted: it used to be a symlink to something like /dev/hdc
(or whatever your CD-ROM drive device was), but lots of
people have multiple CD/DVD drives; how is Linux supposed to
know which one to symlink to?

The proper approach now, I believe, is to use sysfs. See
below for the info on my system. It says that my CD drive is
/dev/hdc, which I can then -- if I want -- make a symlink
to. I don't know how to make that symlink permanent, such
that /dev/cdrom is there when I reboot.

(09:39) slaniel@TheloniousMonk:~/private$ cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name:             hdc
drive speed:            24
drive # of slots:       1
Can close tray:         1