Re: Upgraded from 512 to 1024 ram. Now, how to fine tune the system?

Marty wrote:

Bruno Buys wrote:

Marty wrote:

Due to kernel address map limitations, unless your kernel is configured
for at least 4GB, only about 900MB will be recognized. You can tell if
you have this problem by running "cat /proc/meminfo". The first line of
output should be:

MemTotal: 1034116 kB

Otherwise you need to recompile your kernel.

Hi marty and others. Here's my meminfo. I guess I'm ok, then?

bruno@frank:~$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 1036524 kB

That looks good. I expect a few MBs difference due to legacy hardware
issues, chipset differences and BIOS settings.

Hi marty and all,
These little differences about the size of the mem modules always make me wonder, actually... They look weird. Anyway, debian is running happily. One vendor told me there's a way to enable some double channel configuration, if you have two mem modules, that goes way faster. I didn't find it on my BIOS. Is there such a thing, and how do I enable it?

Finally you may want to think about testing the memory, especially if
you suspect any instability, but that's a different thread.

I did. That was the very first thing I did after hooking up the module. I was afraid what a defective module could do to my beloved debian system, so I run memtest86 for 30 min without problems, before booting debian with the new module. My prior experience with memtest was that it would find problems before 2 or 3 min running. What do you think?