Re: Upgraded from 512 to 1024 ram. Now, how to fine tune the system?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:10:58 -0300
Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:45:21 +0300
>Bogdan Rotariu <bogdan.rotariu@balcanicsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello Bruno,
>>
>>Friday, October 7, 2005, 12:41:33 AM, you wrote:
>>
>>>Just bought an extra 512mb ram module, to add to my existing
>>>512mb. Free reports the total correctly, but i was wondering
>>>if is there any way that i fine tune my system for better use
>>>of this memory. That's the first time i run a 1gb pc :)!
>>>Any help?
>>>
>[snip]
>
>>or update your kernel if u didn't alredy do that.
>
>Why?

I didn´t understand, also. I was after any kernel parameter,
command line option to include in my boot, or something like
that, to tell my system how to use the memory. IF there is such
a command. I remember having read some time ago about commands
telling the kernel what to swap and what not, and that it had to
do with mem upgrades. That´s it. Hope it cleared up the subject.

Oh, ok,  I think.  The only kernel configuration option is to tell
it what memory "range" you have.  The choices are 1GB, 4GB & 64GB.

The sid 2.6.12 binary kernel has it set for 1GB.  So, if I were to
add more RAM to my current 1GB, I'd have to build a custom kernel.

As for telling the kernel what to swap, AFAIK, there are no build
or boot parameters to control that.  Linux knows how much RAM &
swapspace you have, and does what it thinks is best.

Due to kernel address map limitations, unless your kernel is configured
for at least 4GB, only about 900MB will be recognized.  You can tell if
you have this problem by running "cat /proc/meminfo".  The first line of
output should be:

MemTotal:      1034116 kB

Otherwise you need to recompile your kernel.