Re: Upgraded from 512 to 1024 ram. Now, how to fine tune the system?

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:10:58 -0300
Bruno Buys <brunobuys@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:45:21 +0300
> >Bogdan Rotariu <bogdan.rotariu@balcanicsoft.com> wrote:

> >[snip]
> >
> >>or update your kernel if u didn't alredy do that.
> >
> >Why?
> >
> I didn´t understand, also. I was after any kernel parameter,
> command line option to include in my boot, or something like
> that, to tell my system how to use the memory. IF there is such
> a command. I remember having read some time ago about commands
> telling the kernel what to swap and what not, and that it had to
> do with mem upgrades. That´s it. Hope it cleared up the subject.

Oh, ok,  I think.  The only kernel configuration option is to tell
it what memory "range" you have.  The choices are 1GB, 4GB & 64GB.

The sid 2.6.12 binary kernel has it set for 1GB.  So, if I were to
add more RAM to my current 1GB, I'd have to build a custom kernel.

As for telling the kernel what to swap, AFAIK, there are no build
or boot parameters to control that.  Linux knows how much RAM &
swapspace you have, and does what it thinks is best.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Temporarily not of Jefferson, LA  USA

"There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless."
Jeff Polk