Re: 4ol 4rt files:

On Sun, 2005-09-25 at 18:10 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:41:09 -0400
> David Clymer <david@zettazebra.com> wrote:
>
> > Doofus, stupid, etc are pejoratives. I don't consider it appropriate
> > to describe someone in such terms merely because they happen to have
> > been delt a smaller portion of intelligence. However, when someone
> > actively refuses to use the brain they have...I have no qualms about
> > applying such labels.
> >
> > Perhaps you speak the same language, but with less tact.
> >
> > -davidc
>
> What would be the correct PC term, AOLer?  Some are smart.  Why not just
> use a time tested, tried, and true word everyone is already familiar
> with?

There are plenty of words with which all of us are familiar, but are not
appropriate for use in describing the group in question for one reason
or another.

> I admit that 'doofus' is used contemptuously but stupid is usually not,
> is it?

I tend to think it is, but usage could certainly differ in various
social circles.

>   What is the opposite of pejorative?  Congratulatory?  Neither
> stupid nor smart warrant either of those terms, they are only states of
> being like blond or red-headed.

I disagree.

My experience is that if I tell someone they are stupid, they tend to be
offended. Knowing this, I wouldn't use that word to describe a person
unless I intended to demean or belittle them. Thus, in my view, it
warrants classifying the term as a pejorative.

I agree that a person's intelligence is an innate characteristic.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg