Re: absurdly simple LAN problem - SOLVED?

On 19 Sep 2005, Wackojacko wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >On 17 Sep 2005, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> >After some more experimentation I seem to have got ping to work in both
> >directions, by means of the following:
> >
> >1. There is a page in the router set-up which shows attached devices;
> >the laptop appears here as 192.168.0.3, for some reason.
> >
> >2. I removed (instead of just stopping) shorewall and also bastille on
> >both machines.
> >
> >I can now ping in both directions, using the above IP address for the
> >laptop. I don't fully understand what is happening but at least it seems
> >to be working so far.
> >
> >Anthony
> >

> Anthony
>
> I have a netgear router which allows me to assign fixed LAN addressess
> to my connected PC's so they always get the same address no matter which
>   order they are switched on.  This may help you, or it may not :),
> check the router manual.
>
> Wackojacko

Thanks; yes, I've noticed this too but haven't tried it yet. However, by
using the above 192.168.0.3 everything seems to be working and I can ssh
in both directions.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk for
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  blog, book reviews, electronic