Re: Overwhelmed newbie

On (17/09/05 18:08), Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Taking your notes section by section:
>
> Desktop - take a look at the Install Guide.  Is there anything in your
> notes that would be useful there?
> File /mail server - this could go into the Reference.  See 3.4, 3.5, 9.6.
> LAPP - nothing like this in the Reference at present.  Needs much
> expansion imo, and I don't like the part about installing database files
> in /home.
Yes. they're notes and pretty sketchy, I'll revisit and see if I can
flesh them out a bit.

The reason I've done this is to simplify the automatic overnight data
backup; I suppose there is no compelling reason not to back-up /var as
well or even the whole system.

It will mean editing the backup section in File Server

> We could start a seperate debate about the Reference.  It has great
> potential imo, but few read it.  Perhaps it would be better split into
> smaller chunks and/or totally restructured.  Some chapters have
> ambiguous names e.g. Debian Tutorials, Debian Tips, Tuning a Debian
> system.  I havae asked on d-d whether the Reference is a going concern,
> before we go too far down the road of trying to improve it.

I haven't studied the install manuals in depth but referred to them as needed.
In putting my notes together, I felt it useful to document particular
types of installation.  Inevitably, I've chosen various packages for my
own reasons and whilst the reference would benefit from such an
approach, perhaps a section which had a number of different
configurations for a File Server, Mail Server etc. would be useful.

I'll try to find some time to explore further.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Clive

--