Re: Overwhelmed newbie

Clive Menzies wrote:
On (17/09/05 12:45), Antony Gelberg wrote:

My understanding is that Debian welcomes patches from anybody who can improve the documentation situation on the www.debian.org. The Debian Reference is a good start but could be so much better.

Perhaps those of you who have your own howtos and guides (e.g. Clive M) would consider rolling this information into Debian?

I would happily contribute my notes into Debian; I confess to not having
explored how to do this, mainly due to time pressures.  If someone wants
to point me in the right direction, I'll see what I can do.

However, the notes I've put together are pretty subjective and would
require some 'Debianising'; furthermore, I'm not sure how the stuff
about Debian derived CD's would play on debian.org?

Taking your notes section by section:

Desktop - take a look at the Install Guide. Is there anything in your notes that would be useful there?
File /mail server - this could go into the Reference.  See 3.4, 3.5, 9.6.
LAPP - nothing like this in the Reference at present. Needs much expansion imo, and I don't like the part about installing database files in /home.

We could start a seperate debate about the Reference. It has great potential imo, but few read it. Perhaps it would be better split into smaller chunks and/or totally restructured. Some chapters have ambiguous names e.g. Debian Tutorials, Debian Tips, Tuning a Debian system. I havae asked on d-d whether the Reference is a going concern, before we go too far down the road of trying to improve it.