Re: Overwhelmed newbie

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
On fredag 16 september 2005, 20:26, you wrote:

I really don't think that this is the kind of thing to recommend on
d-u without a very good reason.

Why is that? I've seen many newbies burn themselves badly on trying to maintain a full Debian install, and like this user, often the reason why they won't return in the next few years is that they are overwhelmed by all the decisions they have to make.

Please reply onlist.

It's because if people use stable, there is no reason to get burnt. There is no reason to be overwhelmed by anything if the user is willing to learn. I understand that Debian is not geared at newbies, but that doesn't mean that newbies can't use it.

The OP clearly didn't read the install guide. In the face of this, perhaps it is better to direct him to the install guide than away from Debian.

Most importantly, this is _debian_-user. If you want to advocate other distributions willy-nilly, it's not the place.