Re: Help!

On Fri, September 9, 2005 11:22 pm, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 09:49:53PM -0500, Michael Martinell wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, September 9, 2005 8:53 pm, Carl Fink wrote:
>
> []
>
>> > Any information needed to make a choice should be PART OF THE PROGRAM
>> (minus
>> > very rare cases).  Why make the new user go searching?
>
>> If you are so lazy as to not want to read through the getting started guide
>> then you don't have much of a future period.  Most things in life that are
>> worth doing require study - driving a car, being a doctor, being a computer
>> tech, it doesn't really matter.  If you are looking for instant
>> gratification
>> watch tv and allow the television stations to think for you while the
>> government takes care of you.  This thinking sounds like a typical liberal
>> me - unable to take care of yourself, (minus very rare cases).
>
> What the HELL?  Anyone who want software to be easy to use is a liberal?
> What are you, the Ann Coulter of bad software design?
>
> Why are you participating here? Surely e-mail mailing lists are too easy.
> You should use quill pens and parchment.
> --

I see heavy sarcasm is lost on you - maybe you do let the tv think for you
after all?  Most software is easy and can be figured out by the casual end
user.  The point here is the OS.  The differences are extreme.

My point (however lost it was):Being a system administrator is not for the
lazy.  If it is your hobby and you are enthusiastic about the hobby you will
still read the documentation.  The only person who will not at least read the
quick start guide (there is one and it is 10 pages long) is the person who has
no business installing an OS to begin with.

The only "easy" OS install I have ever done was with the microsoft answer
file, where I created an answer file on a floppy put in the disk and let it
install, with every question and setup taken care of by my pre-planning.  Of
course I had to read the documentation to do that . . . .

I do wish that debian had such a utility though, it would be the ultimate in
simplicity.  You could just download a generic answer file from Debian for
your x86 platform and an hour later the system would be done.

By the way how did you know I consider calligraphy to be art?  Quill pens and
parchment are cool - I just can't figure out the delete feature.